The advantage of Destination Cumbria
- What you need to know
- Our Mission Statement
What you need to know is: -
• What you want to do comes first
• We pride ourselves on customer service
• We don’t charge you commission
• And, unless you are bringing more than 50 people to the Lakes, you won’t get it cheaper anywhere else
Adventure activities by their very nature can be risky, but common sense, knowledge and preparation can alleviate the risk. It is essential that all instructions and information given by the Adventure Activity Operators should be adhered to.
The reason we have set up Destination Cumbria is to make it easier for visitors to the Lake District to find the Tourism Operators best suited to fulfil their needs.
When our founder first arrived in the Lake District in 1999 with the intention of starting a particular form of adventure tourism, he was disappointed to find a distinct lack of assistance when it came to people willing to sell on behalf of Tourism Operators. Those that would charged a large commission or added a mark-up to the prices of activities, by as much as 150% in some cases.
Our aim is to fill this niche in the following ways: -
1. To assist you, the visitor to the Lake District, by knowing a lot about what is available in the area and getting you booked onto the activities of your choice.
2. To give the accommodation providers an alternative to saying “Have a look at the brochures” when you ask at Reception if there is anything you can do while you are in the Lake District.
3. By helping the new and innovative Activity Operators fill up their trips and grow their businesses, so that more and more visitors will enjoy their stay in the Lake District.
Our Mission is to develop the Lake District's Tourism offering into an "World Class End to End Visitor Experience."
When we have finished,
You, the visitor will be able to book any activity up to the time of departure at your Hotel's or Hostel's reception desk or in any of our Adventure Centre shops, assisted by Friendly Informed Staff.
You will pay standardised prices based on the quality of the product, not on fluctuations depending on how busy the operator is.
You won't have to pay any Agent imposed Mark Ups or Commissions (apart from those charged by the credit card companies.)
You will be picked up from set, easy to get to meeting points and driven to the activity venue, not made to find your own way there.
You will be looked after by the Best Operators offering the Best Products as assessed by us on standards above and beyond the Government minimum standards applied to the industry at present.
After your trip you will be able to buy Photographs, T-Shirts and DVD's of your activity so you can show your friend's and family the daft things you have done and survived.
Above all you will go home having had a great experience in a World Class environment with Operators dedicated to preserving it and planning to come back.
Your support is greatly appreciated.